Saturday, April 23, 2011

Lesson 15: “I Am the Light of the World”

In looking for an image to illustrate this weeks lesson, I picked this picture of Jesus teaching in the temple. He is a shining light in the darkness. He is the Son who lights our path back to our Heavenly Father. I am grateful for my Savior. I know he loves me and living His gospel is my daily joy and ultimate pursuit. My life is so full of goodness and love and peace and joy - all because of He who lights up my life and who I seek to emulate everyday. I am so grateful for Christ's love and atonement that lightens my heart, helping me to drop the burdens that accumulate. I am grateful that I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Today I had the blessed opportunity to attend the baptism of my beautiful niece, Olivia. Oh it was so special to hear testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and see this sweet girl enter into covenants with her Heavenly Father . She listened so attentively as her grandmother talked about the Gift of the Holy Ghost that she was about to receive. Her grandma talked about the wonderful blessing of having the gift of the Holy Ghost, the feelings of peace it brings, the constant companionship, and the guidance that come through the still small voice to our minds and our hearts. She said - Oh if people knew how wonderful this gift is, everybody would want to have it. I know that is true. The Gift of the Holy Ghost and the other blessings that come to us through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ surpass any earthly reward or endeavor. They are worth everything we have to give, and when other people see and understand the great blessings that come to us through the true and living church they do want those blessings for themselves.

This is our great opportunity to be a light set on a hill, to bring people to the Light of the World to lighten their burdens and be made whole and clean through His love!

Yea! Let's do it!



John 7–8

  • What did Jesus instruct the people to do to gain a testimony of his teachings? (See John 7:17.) How can you apply this instruction in your life?

  • What does it mean that Jesus is the light of the world? (See the scripture chain in this section.) How can you help others see the light that Christ offers? (See Matthew 5:16; 28:18–20; Philippians 2:14–15.)

  • What did Jesus promise to those who would continue to follow him? (See John 8:31–32.) What does truth free us from? (See John 8:33–34.) How does committing sin place us in bondage? (See Alma 12:11;34:35.) How has knowing the truth made you free?

Suggestion for Family Discussion

Turn off the lights in the room, and close the curtains or blinds. Ask a family member to do a simple task requiring sight, such as reading a scripture or describing a picture. Then turn on the lights, open the curtains or blinds, and ask the family member to do the task again. Discuss why it is easier to do the task with the light on. Read John 8:12, and ask family members to discuss ways that Jesus Christ is the light of the world.

Scripture Chain: Jesus Christ—“The Light of the World”

No comments:

Post a Comment